I probably say this at the beginning of most recipes but this is actually probably one of the most simplistic dishes I have ever cooked. I am no nutritionist but I think it is also very healthy which makes it great for a midweek meal without compromising on flavour. Obviously, try and get the best possible prawns possible. I got these black tiger prawns from the Asian Supermarket which were great considering they were frozen.
Black Tiger Prawns 6/7 per person
Garlic 4 Cloves
Saffron 1 Pinch
Cajun Seasoning 2 Teaspoons
Baby Tomatoes 13
Jack Daniels 2 Shots
Juice of 1 Lime
Flat leaf Parsley, Small bunch
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 Cup
Salt to season
The first step is to get some flavour into the prawns before cooking so begin by mixing together the marinade ingredients of Olive Oil, Lime Juice and Cajun Seasoning. If you need to prepare the prawns beforehand do so by removing the head, shells and vein.
Next, finely chop the shallots and sauté on low heat for about five minutes until translucent. You are not aiming to impart colour so ensure the heat isn’t too high.
3. When the onions have softened after 5 minutes add the baby tomatoes. Try and get the best quality tomatoes possible as the cheaper versions lack any sweetness which is necessary for the dish. Cook these down for a further 5 minutes on low heat until soft.
4. Add the finely chopped of garlic. I used 4 cloves bit if you aren’t fan of garlic you can reduce this amount. You now have the base of your sauce ready to add the prawns.
5. Cooking prawns can be a tricky as overcooked they become plastic like and chewy and this can happen in a matter of seconds. They are ready when they have just turned a white/pinky colour. Combine with the sauce on low heat for 2/3 minutes.
6. Now for the flames! Add a dash of Jack Daniels to the pan and flambé. The amount of Bourbon you use is entirely top to you. Beware though, the more you add the more aggressive the flames will be so be prepared! Mix well and your dish is ready to serve.
7. Serve with some basmati rice, a sprinkling of fresh parsley and slice of lime.
Hope you enjoy.