The best banana bread you will ever taste! Bold statement I know. This recipe is from my sister in law who brought it from her native South Africa. I would love to have a romantic food story of how it was passed down through numerous generations (which it may have been) but I'm not sure of its origins or whether or not if it's even typical of banana bread ingredients. I admit to having never cooked this recipe myself, such is my uninterest in baking, but I can think of nothing else that is as satisfying to eat straight out of the oven.
- Butter 250g
- Flour 3 cups
- Eggs 2
- Vanilla Extract 1/2 Teaspoon
- Bananas 4 (must be very ripe)
- Caster Sugar 1 1/4 Cup
- Semi Skimmed Milk 1/2 Cup
- Baking Powder 1 Teaspoon
- Bicarbonate of Soda 1 Teaspoon
- Pinch of Salt
- Demerara Sugar 3 Tablespoons
1. Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
2. Add Vanilla.
3. Add the eggs one at a time beating constantly.
4. Sift together dry ingredients then add.
5. Add Bananas and mix well.
6. Grease a small bread pan, add the filling and finish by sprinkling the Demerara sugar on top.
7. Bake at 180c until ready. Usually this will take between 1hr-1hr 30 mins so check every 10 mins after 1 hour.
Hope you enjoy,